4/24/17

Weekend sewing and yardwork

It was a very cool weekend.  Unusually cool.  Jackets were needed.  Not the coats I saw some people wearing, but jackets.  We took advantage of the nice weather to spend a chunk of it outside.  I got some nice "cleaning up" done in the flowerbed; trimming away dead limbs and rose hips, taking out a couple plants that weren't making it and trying to take care of some aphids.  Rob did the lawn. 

Work.  And, more work.  And, then some work. 

But, there was also play.  It was the Santa block for the "Have a Jolly Little Christmas" sew along. 

 
 
This is such a cute sew along.  And this block was complicated, but fun to put together.  You definitely need the correct seam allowance or it doesn't fit together in the end.  I wish I'd had a slightly darker beige for the face so it would stand out from the beard better, but it's still fine.  Eight blocks so far.  Woo-hoo!
 
The other block I worked on was one for the Jubilee Quilt.  This is block 30 for that quilt.  Just 6 more to go. 
 

These blocks are so easy to make with freezer paper templates.  I don't know why it's taken me so long.  But, 36 of anything is hard for me.  I sure couldn't do it consecutively.  When I started the quilt, I didn't understand my need to start new things as well as I do now.  Now, I know I need to keep several projects going at once to keep me happy. 

I also put one of Rob's travel trailer blocks together, but it was because I forgot I had one ready that I just needed to blanket stitch.  Oops!  But, I guess it's okay to have a couple of those stacked up waiting. 

And, I finished the quilting on a Linus quilt.  I think this is the last of the race tops I put together last year, using up all my strips.  (that's kind of a cool effect in the picture, like water, but it's just because it's spread across a pile of stuff that needs to be put away in the studio.)


I quilted it in straight lines along the seams.  That makes for a beautiful quilt, but it sure is boring work.  Fortunately, I figured out that if I use the hopping foot, I can work up and down lines continuously without having to turn the quilt. 

Well, that's it for me today.  Time to shower and get ready to go to the office.  For more work. 

Everybody have a great Monday!  Lane

 
 
 


1 comment:

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

hey I am with you on the Santa face--but first I discovered that I cut the little pieces too large--but even when I cut them the correct size it took some work to get them to fit--but like you mine is now done too--I was behind with the Cardinal block but got that done too--so we are good to go!!!!
enjoy the moment, di