12/4/17

A Christmas finish

Twas the night before guild show-and-tell and all through the house, I was leaving little thread trimmings, just like a quilter.

I got the last stitches in the Christmas quilt so I can take it to guild and show it off tonight. 


I did a holly leaf pattern in the border that you can't see, but it does a nice job of holding the layers together in an irregular pattern on that bold paisley. 


I did the flanged binding, and was going to sew the second seam by machine, and chickend out.  It just wasn't coming out straight and even.  So, I sewed it down with a running stitch in that ditch that you're supposed to machine sew it down in and it looks perfect.  Once it's been shown off, it will get hung in the living room.  With all the others. 

We hang a lot of Christmas quilts.  I make one every year.  I really need to stop that. 

So, now I am temporarily between projects.  But, I'm sure that won't last long.  It's not like I don't have enough started that I can finish. 

On December 1, Rob started turning on the Christmas lights.  This is what that swag looks like in the dark.  It casts a nice holiday glow. 


This is one of Rob's villages.  The one from the oldest time period.  (Please note, I said one...there are four.  Rob's really into Christmas.)


This is the quilt that hangs over it. 


The corners are FMQ.  The tree, the ornaments, the lights and the gifts.  There's a bow in the border that's also FMQ and filled with tiny pebbles.  (that one won a ribbon.)

This weekend was about me and Rob.  Syd was around, but a minor player.  We were both dealing with end of year stuff and needed to argue and make up and get along and make plans and talk over coffee and watch movies and build stuff...all the stuff couples that are involved in one another's lives need to do.  And, need to make time to do.  Even around the holidays. 

That's it for me today.  I'm going to go sew something.  And, after that, I'm going to work.  And, then a meeting and guild.  The speaker is Lorraine Torrence.  I'm not familiar with her work, so it should be fun. 

Everybody have a great Monday.  It's the start of a brand spanking new week and anything can happen...even something good.  If you let it. 

Lane

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas quilt looks great. We all remember when you started making it, now to see if finished is very inspiring. The house is nicely decorated. I hope y'all can find some time to relax and enjoy it. Thanks for sharing! Mary

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your new Christmas quilt, Lane! Keep on making them. It's your thing, and it's okay to do your thing. :-) Have fun at the guild meeting.

Becky said...

Another stunner!! Love, love, love!!

Have a great week!
Love you,
Becky

Mary said...

Your Christmas quilt is fabulous. I also remember you making it. I am still in awe at what you can do with needle and thread.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lorraine Torrence? I believe you may be in for a treat. Congrats! on completing THIS YEAR'S Christmas quilt. I can't imagine making one every year and am still hoping to get ONE done... SOMEDAY!!!

Dot said...

Really love the Christmas quilt that hangs over the village. You moved from a very highly developed set of quilting skills to art. Both quilts are lovely, but this one, high lighted with red squares and enhanced with quilted pictures, first caught my eye and then captured my heart.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your Christmas quilt! You should send a photo to Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts ... I'm sure she'd love to see your finish!

Daryl said...

Both quilts are beautiful!